Eharmony and no refunds with Auto-Renew

I am so angry!I signed up with eharmony for the 3 month subscription and they just auto-renewed my membership which 1.

I didn't want and 2. they have no option for a refund after they auto-renew your membership! I find this to be very shady business practices as they make it seem like there is a refund option, however once they auto-renew YOUR account they don't even give you a 3 day trial period to cancel!

This is unacceptable and more people should know about this before signing up- that in fact you cant undo an auto-renew..

a trustworthy business practice would be to extend the same 3 day cancellation trial period they make available when signing up apply to ANY and ALL charges that they make to their customers accounts. I am filing a dispute with my bank as well as the BBB. I cant sit back and let this happen to me.

It's just not fair.I didn't want a renewal and thats all there is to it.

12830a29 review #331833
1 25 Helpful?
Had the same issue37 Comments25
Had an experience with Eharmony?  Submit review about this company
Is it your business?
Respond to your customers as verified company representative.
Apply for free plan
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Login

Apr 21 #974536

Also caught out by the auto-renew garbage. Just before I cancelled my membership 12 months ago I ensured I unticked the auto-renew button. Sure enough I was still charged out of the blue. Sooo angry! I really can not afford this.
I tried to call e-harmony, no help. My bank is being hopeless about a charge back so I cancelled the credit card in the end.
NEVER, EVER use this crappy site. Hope they get sued!

Roz

Mar 26 #963878 Edinburgh, Edinburgh, City Of

Same problem with eHarmony. I deliberately closed my automatic renewal after a week of a three month subscription. Then guess what they have taken another three months

Mosur

Feb 18 #947417 West Sussex, England

This is the shadiest dating website ever
Haven't heard anything from them and haven't logged in since cancelling in April 2014, to then be charged from January 2015 for auto renew
They no claim they have no record of my cancellation.
The customer service team cannot help you and are robotic drones who repeat scripted lines over and over
Warning to future subscribers

Jan 11 #929408 Alameda, California

Same problem, called my bank and let them know the situation. Will be a chargeback...should have refunded when i requested eharmony, now youll have to pay penalties as well

pinkpanther

Sep 20, 2014 #872982 Port Coquitlam, British Columbia

Same situation happe ned to me! i called eharmoney and was told there was nothing they would do for me. All i did was call paypal since thats how i paid for my subscription and the money has been placed back in my account. I will no longer be using or recomending there website since they have poor customer service.

Tamara

Aug 07, 2014 #852878

Same here, we signed up for the annual membership, paid $150 and now a year later, without notification they took out $51.80 in the morning and another $86 this afternoon. They said I was on a auto renewal. I reminded them I didn't recall agreeing to a lifetime of Eharmony, just 1 year. I cant get my money back either as it went thru Paypal I complained to them also. They should ask if you agreed to a purchase and not just assume everything that goes thru is honestly charged by you.

Sia

Jul 26, 2014 #846377

I had a same problem. They actually have designed a trap to charge you as much as they can. Normally, after each renewal, the customer will be notified through email to have a chance for cancellation. However, eHarmony does not send you such an email. The situation is even worse for payments through the installments, because during such payments, the customer CANNOT turn off the automatic renewal! Yes, I know how dirty trick it is! So, if you forget to turn off the automatic renewal after the last installment, you simply will be charged for another period without being notified. Obviously, if you notice later, their greedy service- persons will not refund you. The best solution is just to close and delete your profile, and find another way to find your date.

4 1 Reply

Nov 28, 2014 #907140 Sundre, Alberta

Please tell me how to delete my profile before I pay a lifetime of payments for something i don't use....gurŕrrr

bv

Jul 01, 2014 #834252

I have same problem. No refund. I just want to cancel this agreement!!! I can't find good answer to take money without alarm! Maybe someone didn't know about renew. It's not fair. It's not clear for everyone to join eharmony. I'm not satisfied of eharmony policy. They don't care about customer. I hope one day one person stand opposite eharmony lowful. If I have much money to pay for lower I would complain about them.

CRM001

Mar 15, 2014 #795360 Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hi all,
Well...me, like...I believe everyone else in here, have the same issue. Auto-renewal without consents from E-harmony. My questions are:
DID ANYONE FIND A WAY TO GET THEIR MONEY BACK?
IS THERE A CIVIL LAW SUIT THAT COULD BE FILED AGAINST THESE SCAMBUGS???
OK, If anyone has a clue or was successful on getting their money back please share with us!
THanks, Claudio

Sia

Jul 26, 2014 #846383

eHarmony does not send an email notification to the customer after the renewal. I think in some states such a notification is mandatory. However, it should be followed through a court. Maybe a group of unhappy customers can get a lawyer and sue this dirty business.

Margaret

Mar 10, 2014 #793107

It is 1th March 2014 as I write this. I kept a date of when my subscription was due to end and went through the procedure to cancel auto renewal from the renewal date. (End of February). However, when I checked my bank account today I found Eharmony had taken £68.65 from my Bank Account on 3rd March 2014. That is a lot of money and, as far as I am concerned it is theft. What can I do about this?

Ricksterzz

Feb 02, 2014 #781194 Tyler, Texas

I also discontinued eHarmony in the Account Setting Billing tab after taking advantage of a 3 month "special offer" and was billed for another month at full price. This is a rip off. If you decide to risk it, when you're ready to discontinue, call their "helpless" line and tell the operator to turn off auto renewal and ask her to send an email confirming it's discontinued. Save the email in case you're charged again so you can have proof when you call your credit card company and dispute the charge.

Annoyed

Nov 15, 2013 #743082 Morristown, New Jersey

I had a very similar experience. I had signed up for a year, and the last 6 months, the matches have been horrible (200+ miles away & 'just outside of my settings'). They trap people into signing up for another year by giving NO reminder notice. The charge came through to my cc today. I called to cancel, they said I had missed the window and that I was contractually obliged to have another year.

I definitely would not have signed up for an auto renew, but of course they are telling me that I did.

Worst Customer Service ever.

NO NOT SIGN UP FOR THIS.

Stacey

Sep 09, 2013 #714473 Austin, Texas

I am going through the same thing right now. eHarmony is trying to steal $167 from me. The payment is still pending in my credit card account yet they refuse to give me a refund. The services haven't even been rendered! It's a complete scam. I would never recommend eHarmony after this awful customer service experience.

jesse1984

Aug 21, 2013 #704030 San Diego, California

eHarmony is AWFUL!!! Do NOT use them! Such a corporate SCAM! Bad customer service, bad matchmaking, just bad bad bad. Use Match.com, three of my girlfriends found love there and are on their way to marriage :)

Scammed

May 20, 2013 #654001 Toronto, Ontario

I signed up for the full 6 month membership on eHarmony, and was very disappointed in the `service' provided. I was consistently matched with men more than 15 or 20 years older than me, even though in their extensive questionnaire I indicated that age was important to me.

I wanted to ensure that I didn't waste any more money on this site, so I made sure to cancel the auto-renewal at least 3 months before my membership was due for renewal. I stopped logging in completely, as it was useless.

I just received my credit card statement, and found a renewal charge for $209!! I was so angry, I telephoned eHarmony right away to request a refund. They refused. Said that apparently my attempt to cancel the auto-renewal did not go through. They apparently have this problem often, so they state in their instructions that you have to double check that it went through!?

***! Complete scam - any honest company would agree to refund for a product that you clearly do not want, and did not use. Any honest company would not make the auto-renewal the default and only option. Any honest company would notify you that your policy would be renewing, and give you the option to cancel. Any honest company would not make it next to impossible to find out how to cancel a membership, and then make the process so dysfunctional that educated people cannot follow it.

Too many people let them get away with this. I have contacted the
... Show more

6 0 Reply
Stacey

Sep 09, 2013 #714475 Austin, Texas

Did you get your money back? I'm in the same boat!

inofromexperience

Nov 09, 2012 #567008

If you call the 800 number and demand a refund,and request to speak to a supervisor you will get a refund. The phone agent is strongly urged to convince you that you can't get a refund. Also they don't want your bank to do a charge back, so let them know your next step is to call your bank. Don't use the account after the autorenewal, cuz then you used the service and they can try to say you used the site etc etc...

eHarmony Hater

Sep 13, 2012 #541449

This happened to me where I wasn't aware of auto renewal, and notified customer care the day I received notice of the charge to let them know I did not authorize. They refused to refund that very same morning less than hours that charge happened. I disputed with my charge card company.

Meanwhile, I get a new eHarmony 3 month special offer over a month later. I decided to accept the offer and charged my membership accordingly. I get matched and in communication with 3 guys. I'm actually as far along as making date plans. Never does this happen where my experience is good - especially where one in particular is appearing excellent match up.

Tonight I get notice that eHarmony deactivated my account. Customer Care tells me they can't do anything to reactive and the matches will no longer see my profile as I move into closed status with them. WTF?!!

Talk about shady and contradictory to their own declared mission “eHarmony is committed to helping its members find highly compatible, long-term relationships."

Their policies have no interest in providing a positive customer experience or delivering what they promise. I hate eHarmony and am pretty sure there are 3 guys who would feel the same way if they knew I wasn't the flake I was made to appear by eHarmony making me disappear without notice.

1-20 of 25 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.